Hip pain is a common complaint that can be caused by a wide variety of problems.
Hip pain can sometimes be caused by diseases and conditions in other areas of your body, such as your lower back. This type of pain is called referred pain.
Some hip pain is temporary, while other hip pain can be long-standing or chronic.
- arthritis, inflammatory and non inflammatory arthritis,
- fracture, sprain,
- infectious arthritis (septic arthritis),
- sciatica, muscle strain,
- iliotibial band syndrome (IT band syndrome),
- joint pain,
- groin pain,
- loss of motion of the hip,
- swelling over the hip,
- tenderness of the hip,
- Difficulty in sleeping on the hip.
Symptoms vary in intensity from mild to severe. Hip pain can be a cause of disability.